Thursday, November 27, 2008

Become a Better You by Joel Osteen Gets an A on My Scorecard

So I just got done reading Joel Osteen's book "Become a Better You". It is a 320+ page book filled with information on, well, as the title suggests becoming a better you. I must say before I write my review here that I am Joel fan. I think he is easy to listen to and has a great message week in and week out.

Now I know many devout Christians do not like Joel for the reason that it is a non-denominational service that implements the works of the bible and Jesus Christ with everyday life such as goal setting, achieving success and so on.

To me I think what Joel is trying to do is absolutely what a lot of people need in this world. I think gone are the days of the teachings of Jesus Christ through brimstone and fire.

I was born to a Catholic family, attended Catholic school from kindergarten to senior year in high school and through those thirteen years, when I say brimstone and fire, they would teach you the works of Jesus Christ through saying that if you don't believe you go to hell, things like that. We can save that conversation for another time though.

For now I want to tell you about what I thought of Joel's new best selling book. It was definitely an easy read. I finished the book in less than two weeks, which for me is quite an accomplishment because for whatever reason I have never been a fast reader. In any event the book is an easy read and well written.

Each chapter clearly outlines a path on how to become better at relationships, life, and work, family you name it. At the end of each section, which is comprised of many chapters each, Joel gives you an outline on what to do to improve your life in those areas he just wrote about. You are given a series of steps to take, and questions to ask others and yourself. It is a nice outline to follow.

The book is filled with a lot of real life examples, not only in Joel's own life but from others that attend his church in Texas and watch his TV program. My thought is using examples to get your point across about anything is always a good way to get your reader's attention.

All in all I would give this book an "A". It was what I expected it to be, had a clear and defined outline on how to get where you want to go, and most importantly it related everything in the book with the teachings of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior.

Article Source


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment